Sierra Leone Institution of Engineers
Professional Engineers’ Registration Council
Press Release – 12th December 2017
Upgrading Engineering Training and Practice in Sierra Leone (UEEPSL)
SLIE/PERC was successful in its bid to the Royal Academy of Engineers for a funding grant of £300,000 for a 3-year programme to upgrade engineering education and practice in Sierra Leone. This is part of Phase 2 of the Africa Catalyst Programme.
SLIE/PERC in collaboration with Engineers for Change Sierra Leone (EfCSL) (a UK based charity) mobilised an international team of world class experts to develop a compelling bid. The team of international partners include:
- A team of leading academic specialists from Imperial College London
- Innovation Action
- Engineers without Borders in Denmark
SLIE/PERC will also work closely with other engineering institutions in the sub-region.
The objectives of the programme are:
- Improving the overall standard, relevance and quality of engineering courses offered at the University of Sierra Leone by empowering the engineering departments at the University of Sierra Leone to be creative in introducing innovation in research, teaching and development projects in partnership with industry, funders and external partners.
- Improving the short-term job opportunities for graduate engineers from the University of Sierra Leone
- Develop a framework for the delivery of Continuous Professional Development programmes for all engineers
- Creating a community of engineers that can drive improvements in the standard of engineering practice in Sierra Leone
- Drawing on the skills, connections and experience of the Sierra Leone diaspora community to support the objectives as listed above
The project will be launched in Sierra Leone in February 2018.
SLIE/PERC in collaboration with EfCSL are very pleased to be leading a programme to deliver a step change in engineering education and practice in Sierra Leone and are appreciative of the grant provided by Royal Academy of Engineers under the Africa Catalyst Phase 2 Programme.
SLIE/PERC Executive Secretary
For further information please contact the Secretariat